Thursday, January 21, 2010

livin it up...

First week of school. Check.

Easy as pie. Act dumb, play smart, and party hard. That's kind of the equation for a good time in Australia. I don't know who told me that classes over here were harder than the ones in America, but after one week, I'm definitely not convinced of anything along those lines. And it's a good thing. I think my two online classes I enrolled myself in back home are going to give me a harder time than the three I'm taking at the uni. Well anyways things are good. After everyday I go to school, which is two days (lovely), I come back to my lovely apartment in Surfers, crack open a beer and sit on the porch. It's a beautiful thing. It feels like I don't even go to school. I do have some homework I should be catching up on but I don't feel like doing it. Duh. An HD is a High Distinction in Australia, equivalent to an A in the states. A P is a Pass, equivalent to a D in the States. The saying around here is P's get the degrees and HD's get the G's. I ain't looking for any HD's over here. Sure they would be nice, but I got better things to do in another country. Maybe like make an easy 18 bucks an hour on a nearly 1 to 1 exchange rate. Or surf my butt off every morning since I'm living on a world renown break. Or try as many beers as I can because I can. I just want to experience the Australian lifestyle as best as I can when I'm over here and I feel like school isn't going to give that to me. But after straight A's minus my B online, while taking 23 units, I don't think I'm going to have too much of a problem. What it do baby boo?

Today we went to a fair at the uni and Nanae and I joined a mixed 4's beach volleyball team in a AA league (very competitive). I'm stoaked to kick some Australian VB ass. Nanae and I are going to tear it up with our hopefully legit other two team members. We've been peppering at the beach about four times a week with the wind and sun. It's a beautiful thing. Team Name: Peacin' it Together. What up? Aside from the volleyball club we joined we also go ViP entry into just about every club in downtown Surfers! So now we can literally hop from club to club for free, EVERY NIGHT. Over here they treat students like they are kings and queens. Half off bus fares and ViP treatment into clubs. Royalty. HA!

Australian day is January 26th and is going to be wild. It's like the 4th of July in America. And I'm definitely more patriotic in Australia than I am in America. I bought these sweet Aussie boardies for $80 bucks yesterday in town and I have my "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!, Oi! Oi! Oi!" tank to match it. I'm bout to be decked out in Aussie gear with a case of our new favorite beer brewed on the Gold Coast. South Sea's Beach. At first we were buying the South Sea's Pale Ale because it was cheaper, but we decided to step it up yesterday and spent that extra three bucks. I'm telling you right now, this beer is so smooth and light, it goes down like agua. BETTER THAN CORONA for all you corona and lime freaks (yes I was one of them too when I first got here). I think I'm definitely going to have to bring a few cases of these home with me. Conserve them for life.

Yesterday we also went on a mission to check out our permanent stay which we will be moving into in just two days. And boy is it BEAUTIFUL. It is, without a doubt in my mind, the hottest hotel out of the 20 or so that graze the beach in Burleigh. Only a two lane road separates me and the beach for 15 weeks.

So the picture above is the roof of our apartment where we will be throwin' some shrimp on the barbie our first night there (Sunday)!! Epic view right? Hopefully we will have an ocean view, but if we end up with a hinterland view we get the lovely sunsets every night. I'm definitely fight for the ocean view though. I'm tired and hungry and the moment so that is all today. How about some Kangaroo meat tonight eh?

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! OI OI OI!

2 comments:

  1. Matt! Haha I love reading your blogs!! It makes me wanna go study abroad there someday!! Shooooot. LEGIIIT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hhaha thanks naomi :) your nice comments inspire me to keep writing! haha for real tho!

    ReplyDelete