Monday, January 4, 2010

less than 24 hours...

In fact, exactly 23 hours from now I will be taking off for the land down under. Kangaroo Jack was always one of my favorite movies for its corniness and just pure randomness. Who knew I'd be living on its set for four months...

Usually when I go see a movie I don't want anyone to tell me anything about it. And I don't like to see trailers. All of these preconceived interpretations and insights on the movie ruin and shape my outlook on what I think the movie is going to be like or how good it's going to be. It forces unwanted expectations that I then place on the movie. Not only is this unfair to my judgment on the movie, but it's unfair to my own enjoyment of it! When I think of some of my favorite movies (The Hangover, What Happens in Vegas, The Holiday, Kangaroo Jack, just to name a few...) I had NO CLUE what the movie was about when I went to go see it. The movies had to meet no expectations for me to qualify it as good, let alone one as of my favorites. I just saw it and created my own thoughts and opinions about it, not subconsciously accounting for anything anyone else said about it.

I'm not afraid to lay expectations on Australia. Every general and specific expectation I have about my next four months is going to happen. It's going to be AMAZING. It's going to exceed anything that I could even expect. How's that for an expectation? Amazing times. Best times of my life (so far). Beautiful beaches. Perfect Waves (Yeah, those waves will be 50 meters away from my doorstep). Epic sunsets or sunrises, whichever we will be experiencing daily. Warm summers. Chill people. Great Friends. Oh, and a cool school I guess. It's just the top academic school in Australia. No big deal. Many pictures. New experiences. Unforgettable adventures. And lasting memories...

I'm laying in my bed for my last time for four months. The longest time I have been away from home, ever. The longest I have never seen my parents or my house had been for two weeks when I was in Maryland, and even at that I was ready to come home. But there's some slight differences about Maryland and Australia that have me thinking after two weeks in Australia I'll be praying that the semester lasts as long as it can. I hope it's not one of those things that's over before you know it.

Game Plan:
Soak up every moment over there. Put nothing to waste and have no regrets. Find the bright side in everything unfavorable. Minimize the bad days and maximize the good times. Don't say NO. Surf as much as possible. Take advantage of the 18 year old drinking age (just as it should be). Barely pass all my classes. And live it up. Goodnight. God Bless. Game On.

No comments:

Post a Comment